Friday, September 26, 2008

Truth or Dare: Does pasta freeze well??



The truth is I have not dared to do this yet, because I would hate to waste a good meal if it did not turn out.


We have quite a few expecting women in our fellowship and I try to cook meals for their family after their babies are born. The main meal I cook is a mexican casserole that has corn tortillas, cheese, chicken and a few sauces (hence all the enchilada sauce I keep buying). I make this because it freezes well. The only problem is, it is a bit spicy and I know that sometimes nursing babies can't handle the spice. So to get back to the subject, I also make a chicken alfredo casserole that is wonderful, but I don't know how well the pasta freezes. I want to make sure whatever meal I send can be frozen just in case they are overwhelmed with generous people bringing food.


So, has anyone dared to freeze pasta and how did it turn out? Also, if you have some alternative recipes that are great to take to families in this situation let me know. I'm sure my readers would be glad to get some knew recipes.

2 comments:

JustMe said...

It just so happens that I thawed out half a Chicken-Spinach Lasagna the other day for dinner. I was concerned because it had been fully baked before freezing (cheese and all), as opposed to just assembled and frozen like most recipes call for. THANKFULLY, it was almost as good as when I first made it, the noodles were perfectly fine. I don't think anyone in my family would have noticed had they not seen me take it out of the freezer.

JustMe said...

Lasagna Recipe
In lrg bowl combine-10oz spinach thawed and drained, 2 C cooked shredded chicken, 2 C grated cheddar cheese, 1/3 C chopped onion, 1T cornstarch, 1/2 t salt, 1/4 t pepper, 1 T soy sauce, 10oz cream of mushroom, 1 C sour cream, 4 1/2 oz sliced mushrooms drained, 1/3 C mayo. Layer 3 cooked lasagna noodles in greased 9x13 pan, then 1/2 of spinach mixture, then 3 more noodles and rest of mixture. Sprinkle 1 C of Parm cheese on top (the recipe calls for 1 C chopped pecans on top with parm cheese-we didn't care for it) Bake 1 hour at 350, serves 12